Game Idea Research

Choosing my game

So, the game idea I’m going to be working on for the rest of the semester is my scary game and I’m going to name it “house666”. The reason I’ve chosen the scary game is because I think it’s different and it will be really fun to make and hopefully not too difficult. The name I’ve chosen simply came to me because the game is going to be based in a house and the devil’s numbers are 666, so as soon as you see 666 you know what you’re in for. 

Image - Creepy House

Brief description of the game

I have discussed this in my first game brainstorm but I have changed my mind a little so, firstly the game will be based in a house and your overall objective is to get out of the house of course it won’t be that simple so you’ve to complete some objectives and get out. Last time I wrote about this is I talked about being chased around the house by a character and if your caught you lose well that has changed a little as I realized that be may be fairly difficult so what I’m going to do is nothing will chase you but there will be certain rooms with creepy characters standing in them for example when you turn a corner there may be a character standing there that gives you a fright. Also I was thinking of having characters walking up and down like a hall as if they are on patrol, bare in mind this is still just all an idea at the moment but it’s coming together. The way you will fail the game is not by getting caught by anything but it will be if you don’t get out of the house by a certain time I’m not sure if I will show the player a timer yet or not because by not showing them leaves that sense of uncertainty but I’ve still got time to think about that. 

Objectives

The object is to collect keys and when you collect the final key it will be the one that gets you out of the house. For example when you spawn you will be in a room and you will have to find a key to get out of that room which will then lead you to find your next key that gives you access to your next area in the house. Overall I’m thinking of having around 4-5 keys, maybe even if not keys you may need to find a code for each door but I’m still trying to figure out which one will work out the best and which one is most possibly to achieve in the time space we have. I’m going to make it that the game is difficult to complete so that hopefully it will take the player a few attempts to actually complete it. 

Enemies

The enemies aren’t actually going to do much except stand there and look scary but they will be put in places that will catch you of guard and the player doesn’t actually know what will happen if they get too close to the enemy so they’ll always be trying to stay as far away from them as possible. As well as that I'd like to have the room with the final key with character moving around but I’ll see how difficult that is as I progress with this. Overall the enemies will be a tricky part to this game as I’m trying to scare the user with an enemy that doesn’t actually do anything really. 

Furniture and detail

The main thing to a scary game is to make it look scary no one is going to be afraid to be walking around an empty house so I really want to try make the house as creepy as possible, the game will based in the 1900s to give it that old style creepy house with blood on the walls and scary painting’s and whatever else. As I explained before I want to keep the house rather small so I can try focus on detail instead of a huge map with not much detail at all. 

Research

I’ve being researching a lot and I’ve found some YouTube tutorials and a lot of scary games created on unity some different to what I want to do and some similar. Of course some of these definitely took a long time to make but they are good to get inspiration from and to get your mind flowing on what’s possible. Here are some scary games created using Unity: Slender The Eight Pages, Slender The Arrival, Death Trips and there’s a lot more. 

Conclusion

This is what I have got planned for the moment some of this may change but for now that’s it. I’m excited to get started working on this on unity and I can’t wait too se how it turns out. 

Comments

  1. Hi Nathan, I love your game idea. I hope you're doing well. Your blog is so detailed and interesting. Theres some feedback on your idea.
    The part that you are wondering in a house by yourself really reminds me of a game I used to play (Outlast). Now Outlast and House666 are very different in terms of the objectives but I still really like the idea. I wonder what type of enemies you will have in this game. Will they be like ghosts or serial killers? Will there be any interactive enemies or sound effects when the player is wondering around?
    If you have the chance you should really try get the enemy in the last room to start chasing you all the way to the door of the house to really make the player jump. Maybe make the player just escape from the enemy as they unlock the door.

    Anyways I can't wait to see the finished game and try it out! I really hope my feedback helped in some way, Denis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nathan, I really like your game idea as I really enjoy survival horror games, I like your original idea of being chased around the house by the enemy, its similar to the resident evil biohazard game where you get chased by the Baker family while also trying to find your wife and escape the house, but I understand that might be difficult to make. I like your idea of placing characters around the house to give the player a fright.
    I wonder how you are planning to make your game look visually?
    It might be a cool idea to make the player have to somehow get past the enemies placed in the rooms to get to the keys and escape the house. Good luck with your game! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nathan! Reading through your post I find it very interesting! I'm looking forward to seeing how you progress with your game even though I'm not the biggest fan of scary games. Best of luck and I hope it all works out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Nathan, I hope you're doing well. I just finished reading this post and I'm excited to see how this game is going to turn out! It sounds like a classic horror game but with a good twist. I can defiantly see that you put a lot of time thinking about this idea. I like the idea that you're stuck in a house which can make the player feel claustrophobic. Do you know if there is going to be a backstory to your game? Will you any weapons that the player can fight back with? I think this game would look really cool in first person and I think to add to the aesthetic, you can try adding like PS1 graphics to the overall environment which would be awesome. I know theres some tutorials out there on Youtube if you're interested. Good luck with the game and hopefully it turns out well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nathan, it's Aoibhe. I just had a read through your game idea research post. Your gams looks very good and I am excited to see how the finished game turns out. I'd love to play it, even though I am not a fan of scary things !! I wonder is there going to be a time limit on how long you can spend trying to get out of the house? You mentioned that you must try avoid the enemies and stay far away from them and that they will only be there to scare off people, what if when you go too near to them that they player dies or is spawned back to the first room and has to start all over again? This is just a thought but it looks like you have it all planned out well and I wish you luck on completing your game. - Aoibhe

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Nathan's world

Game Design Document